Hyper V — Windows Server 2019 with ADFS — VM setup
Requirement are as basic as the title of the page i.e. setting up the windows server for playing with Windows 2019 server with ADFS on the local system using the Hyper V.
Part 1 — VM Machine Setup instructions
- Open the Hyper V Manager. (Google for how to enable Hyper V etc. on your windows machine)
- On the right side click on the New & then Virtual Machine icon.
3. On the first screen click next.
4. (Optional) Change the name and location of the VM’s file if you want to place it somewhere other than the default location. And then click next.
5. Choose the generation 1 (no changes will come as default selected option) & proceed further by clicking next.
6. On next screen also no change required until we actually need more startup memory. Default Screen is like below only.
7. Next screen select network as Default Switch only.
8. The next screen will be like this, no changes required there, Simply click NEXT there as well
9. Next screen is important and requires to set the location for the operating system ISO file which happens to be the Windows Server 2019 evaluation ISO which is openly available from the Microsoft’s website, easily google-able.
Simply point out to correct location and click next.
10. After that hit Finish button and it will take you to the Windows Server OS installation process screens
Part 2 — Start the VM and Connect
1. In the list of VMs in Hyper V manager right click on the created VM and click start.
2. And same way click on connect after opening the menu by right clicking on the selected VM.
Part 3 — Windows Server Installation
1. Select the appropriate language setting, etc. (Default selections work for must of the people) and then hit next.
2. Click on the Install Now option
3. The following screen should show up.
4. And within few seconds after that select — Windows Server 2019 Standard Edition with Desktop Experience.
5. Accept the license terms.
6. Select option — Custom: Install Windows only
7. Nothing much required here Click Next
8. (Nothing here) just wait.
9. Next it will ask to set the password for the Administrator user
10. And further it will take you to login screens as below, before prompting you to select the resolution.
11. Will setup you settings, etc. for the first time boot.
12. And will land you here for the very first time, which is Server Manager.
These are very common steps to setup the VM machine on your local or elsewhere!
The next steps for ADFS setup will be part of a separate article/blog here.
Feel free to get in touch over LinkedIn.